Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Nationwide Service Day - Let's Clean Up the Czech Republic 2016

Elder Shirley talking with a young helper at Let's Clean Up the Czech Republic day




Participating in the national "Let's Clean Up the Czech Republic 2016" day



Elder Shirley and his companion purchased local soccer team scarves

April 18, 2016

Čau! 

I apologize for the lack of an email last week! Here is this week:

We have switched up finding a little bit here by going bus contacting! On Tuesday morning, we jumped onto a city bus and contacted everyone riding it. We have met some pretty cool people on the buses, but a lot of the time, there are just lots of old people haha.

We had district meeting in Zlín this week and we talked about Christ-Like attributes. It is a section in Preach My Gospel and it is really good! After district meeting, we got a car! The zone leaders drove it to us and we took it back home from there. I am now driving again after almost a year!

We also had English that night and we had a potential investigator come. After the class, we invited him to stay after and learn more about us. He stayed and it ended up being a really spiritual lesson. We felt that we needed to commit him to baptism, so we did and he accepted! It was awesome! 

On Thursday, we weekly planned and had dinner at a member's house. I love going to member's houses! They are so great! And they cook really good food haha.

Friday we had an exchange. I was with Elder Chapple, who was in the same group as me in the MTC. It's pretty fun to serve around an Elder that started with you and is at the same point in the mission.

Saturday was service day! There was a nationwide service project called Let's Clean Up the Czech Republic or something like that. We put on the church Helping Hands vests and helped clean up trash. We met some really cool people! I'll send some pictures. We also did service for our neighbor in the garden and then finished the day on a sport's night with the young men.

I had to give a talk in sacrament meeting on Sunday and I found out about it on Saturday. I was really surprised with how well it went. At least I think it did! It was cool to realize, from last time I gave a talk, how much more I can express myself without writing out my whole talk. We also had someone show up to church that we met on the street during the week. We did a little tracting in the evening as well!

I ate something pretty different this last week. It is called tatarak. It's basically raw beef and egg on bread. You'll have to look it up! Weirdly, it was pretty good.
{Here's the description of tatarak that we found: Taking cues from the French steak tartare, tatarák—technically short for tatarský biftek—is fresh, minced raw beef with a number of mix-ins: egg yolk, diced onion, mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, maybe some diced cucumber, and usually Worcestershire sauce or ketchup (unlike the French, you won’t find capers here). Sometimes it’s served pre-mixed; other times you get all of its myriad ingredients fanned out around the plate, so you can mix it to taste}

It was a successful and fun week! Every week as a missionary is a blessing and a spiritual experience. I am thankful for it and love it! God is in the work!

Love you all!
-Starší Shirley


No comments:

Post a Comment