Thursday, August 13, 2015

11 Days to the Czech Republic

Elder Shirley & his companion Elder Newman, who he says "can't keep his eyes open"

Sister missionaries in Elder Shirley's district:  Sister Boza (Guatemala), Sister Manners (England)

Some of the missionaries in Elder Shirley's district: Sister Boza, Elder Chappel, Elder Belshe, Elder Newman

August 13, 2015

Hello everyone!

This is week 8 as a missionary, and because it is week 8 in the MTC, I don't have much to talk about! I feel like I say that all the time, but I'll try to say something interesting!

I just remembered that I failed to mention that I received a calling 3 weeks ago. I was called to serve as the zone music coordinator. That's something I would have never guessed that I would have been called to do, but I had fun with the calling. All I really did was choose songs for the zone meetings and teach people how to lead music. I am released now from that calling but I did find that I love singing hymns and the Spirit that can be felt through song.

Devotional on Sunday night was by Brother Heaton, the administrative director at the MTC. He talked about the three most vital steps that our investigators need to do to gain a testimony and become members. They were: Pray on their own, receive a testimony of the Book of Mormon, and attend church. Brother Heaton talked a lot about the Sabbath Day and how important of a day it is. The Sabbath day should be a day consecrated to the Lord. 
Also, on Sunday during sacrament meeting, I was called on to give the talk. Every week, the branch presidency randomly selects 2 people to speak, and I just happened to be one of them. Lucky me! The talk was on the Book of Mormon. I wasn't that prepared for my talk, but I still think I got my message across. It was that the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion and that it contains a witness of Christ, the fulness of doctrine, and the foundation of testimony.

Elder C. Scott Grow of the Quorum of the Seventy spoke to us on Tuesday night for devotional. He told us that we need to consecrate ourselves to our missions and that we need to serve with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength as it says in Doctrine and Covenants chapter 4. 

Czech is feeling better and better, but knowing that I will be in the country in 11 days makes me question if I really know enough of the language. We Skyped native Czech people again yesterday and even though I understand some, I realize how much further I have to go! As the time is starting to wind down here at the MTC, I am feeling nervous, scared, and super excited all at the same time. But because I have been called to serve to Lord and preach his gospel, I know that he will strengthen me. I am thankful for this gospel in my life and I can't wait to share my message with the Czech people! Have a great week everyone!

-Starší Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment